Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stanford vs. Oregon game

I decided that since things are getting pretty routine with Hinckerz these days, I'm going to try to spice things up with some thoughts on food. Besides, Hinckerz often hangs out with me in the kitchen while I'm cooking...so...consider this "Puppy & Kitchen chronicles" until further notice.

This weekend was the big Stanford vs. Oregon game - #9 vs. #4! We had Adders over to watch (Sal was out of town) and I put myself in charge of making snacks.

Mom & Dad sent me some delicious-looking potatoes from mum's garden a few weeks back and I had been looking for a special occasion to merit cooking them. This was it. Per dad's suggestion, I simply roasted them with some olive oil, salt & pepper.

Though I knew they'd be ridiculously good on their own, Tyler and I were feeling ambitious and decided to make a dipping sauce, like the kind you get when you have Patatas Bravas at a Tapas bar. We used Bobby Flay's recipe and let me tell you, it was awesome. Only drawback is that now I have a whole lot of it left over but no idea what to use it on since I'm out of potatoes now. Sigh!

Here's the goods:
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons smokey paprika
  • 2 teaspoons whole chipotle in adobo sauce
I basically roasted the tomato alongside the potatoes for awhile, then put all of the ingredients into my Magic Bullet blender and pureed. Tyler made the mayonnaise from scratch after my first attempt failed. Note: use the Cuisinart for that part.
We also enjoyed some Kale chips (bake kale seasoned with olive oil & salt for 20 minutes at about three hundo) and later, steak tacos.
Sadly, Oregon ended up trouncing us in the second half. Hinck was pretty upset about it. Or that may have been because we put him in his pumpkin costume from last year. Only the hat still fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment